
"Twice a year, in spring and fall, the rising sun fully illuminates the gods, positioned deep inside the temple." - talking about the temple of Ramses II in Abu Simbel, Egypt. (National Geographic Traveler Egypt)
"Feluccas and dahabiyyas determine their own schedule and, because they do not need special mooring sites, can stop at small islands or antiquities that are skipped by the big cruisers. Using sail-power instead of large engines, a far greater proportion of time is spent sailing. Night-time entertainment is more likely to be star gazing, listening to the sounds of the river, and occasionally music from crew members or villagers." - About cruising the Nile (from Lonely Planet's Eypt)
"General Program Exclusions: 6. Participation in professional or amateur sport events (including training); 7. All extreme, high risk sports including but not limited to: bodily contact sports; skydiving; hang gliding, bungee jumping, parachuting; mountain climbing or any other high altitude activities, caving, heli-skiing, extreme skiing, or any other skiing outside marked trails; 8. Scuba diving (unless accompanied by a dive master and not deeper than 130 feet); 9. Operating or learning to operate any aircraft as pilot or crew; ... 13. Any event that you could have reasonably expected or forseen" - My travel insurance policy, which I will reasonably follow... but, I mean, c'mon, if I have the chance to try heli-skiing on my trip, I just MIGHT ignore it!
Egypt won out on the competition for my company in December... At this point, I'll be doing this solo, but I don't think it's going to take too much to find at least one travel companion, if not several more... which would be FUN.
In the meantime, I'm pouring over Egypt travel guides and websites(a huge part of the fun of going on a trip for me... I love researching all the possibilities, finding out about the local history, imagining all the exciting events that could occur, etc...) at the expense of planning classes for this week... so I really should close the books, close out of the websites, and get back to work. But if you catch me staring at the sun daydreaming, I'm probably imagining myself soaking up the rays from Ra.
1 comment:
Sigh. Make sure you send me tons of REAL post cards from Egypt. The Great Pyramids are on my list of things to do before I die. Wow. Have fun and like I said, send all the postcards and quotes that you can my way!
Post a Comment