Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ring!


I remember when I was small I would jump up to answer the phone when it rang. My Mom always made us answer the phone saying, "Shulke-residence, this is Danielle speaking, how can I help you?" (alright, I know, that's a little weird, but hey, she was just preparing us for if we ever needed to be a receptionist!).

The exhilaration of picking up that phone and saying those words was great - because you never knew who was going to be speaking back to you on the other end of the phone. Sometimes it would be one of my favorite's of my parents' friends who would have a little chat with me before I passed the phone over to Mom or Dad... or sometimes it would be someone calling on farm business and I'd get to answer their questions and be helpful. Come to think of it, Caller ID has kind of stolen some of that fun, hasn't it?!

Now that I have a cell phone, the phone calls are always for me, which most of the time I like, but sometimes I dread it too. I guess that's the nature of growing up and accepting responsibility, so even when you work calls, you HAVE to either pick up or deal with returning a call later.

I like phone calls. I've had some great conversations over phone and it's definite improvement to the archaic method of letters (well, my friend Laura would argue against that, but I'm just saying from my perspective...).

I especially like anticipating phone calls. When I set up a phone date with someone, it's always fun to wait for that call... or wait for the appointed time to call them...

Tomorrow I have a phone call expected at 3PM. I think that, because phone calling seems so common, I tend to overlook the life-changing potential of a simple call. I suppose that's OK, but I also know as I anticipate this phone call that things could be a little different in my life after I hang up.

No comments: