Tuesday, April 20, 2010

From a Student


An anonymous quote a student handed me in her perfect handwriting last quarter:

"When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.

But it, too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: if I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed my world."

- Unknown.

I want to learn this before I lie on my deathbed, Lord. You said that if we'd remove the log from our own eyes first, we could see clearly to remove the splinter from our neighbors. Let that be true in my life - let me always seek to remove the logs that cloud my vision before any other actions.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm going to share this with my small group. I feel like I've heard something similar before but I love the way your student puts it together.