
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but as a delayed gratification kind of girl, I love anticipating something.
This week I'm in full anticipation mode. I had 2 trips planned back to back: a weekend sprint to Colorado to witness a friend's wedding and reconnect with old chums, and a 5 day jaunt to Chicago.
The work week last week was long prepping for these trips -between Wednesday and Thursday I put in 25 hours either in my office or in the classroom - but it was worth it because not only does it decrease the amount of work I have to worry about for this week, but it also increases my anticipation. As I labored over student papers and lesson plans and internet fiascos for my online grading system, pretending I didn't feel like someone had injected sedative into my bloodstream and ignoring my regular evening fever, I was aware of the fact that all the work I was doing NOW meant I wouldn't have to do it LATER. That's such a great feeling!
As always, Colorado served itself up in style. All three of my trips there since January have been a blast. My friend Hillary's wedding provided an excellent Morocco-gang reunion, complete with late night chats (around Lisa's table), morning runs (gasping for air in the high altitude with Lindsey), "fancy dances" (Hunter swooped me with style and grace), the chicken dance (Anthony left a legacy on my visitor's wall to never, ever sit out the chicken dance), and warm hugs and a real, 5 minute one-on-one conversation with the bride herself (truly a treasure on her wedding day!). I knew the weekend would deliver up memories I'd treasure, and my anticipation was only eclipsed by a superior reality.
I got home late last night, fell into bed, and crawled out again 6 hours later to head to work. I was exhausted. Although my energy level felt OK, my brain function was clearly not in place. My poor students! My mind can be scattered under normal conditions, and today was even worse. After stopping in to see my friend Kindra (and being puked on by her 3 month old baby - gotta love kids!), I came home, ate half of the burrito I'd shakily put together, and then realized I was more tired than hungry. I crawled into my PJs and under my down comforter and slept for 3 hours. Now that I'm awake, I'm feeling the anticipation of this week kick into gear!
Tomorrow night I'd head off to Chicago on a red eye flight, and spend the next several days in downtown absorbing as much info from great Christian minds and people of action. I'm excited. Actually, I'm beyond excited! I feel kind of jittery just thinking about it! I'll be hanging out with more Morocco friends and catching up on lots of girl talks, I'm sure. I have a couple extra days to take in the sights and pizza flavors of Chicago, check some "ah-MAZE-ing!" (according to the other instructors in my office) museums off my list, see the lions from Ghosts and the Darkness (yes!!), and experience a renown American city.
I love anticipation. Like my friend, Ed Conzatti, says: "When I anticipate something, it's like I get to live through the event several times BEFORE I actually do - which makes the actual event that much better."
Thank you, Father, for how You give blessings so abundantly, so creatively, and so uniquely. I love You for how personal You are. I love that You know my heart - You know my anticipations and desires - and You delight in satisfying them. Lord, I want my satisfaction in them to be honoring and glorifying to You.
No comments:
Post a Comment