
I didn't realize it until half way through 2009, but God kept weaving the same single word as a theme throughout my life last year; the word was "surrender." Through various circumstances, relationships, and events I found myself learning to surrender everything I have - hopes, dreams, ambitions, weaknesses, people, aspirations, possibilities, memories, etc - to God, for the purpose of His glory. I don't want anything I have to be a hinderance to His will or worship.
In December I started asking God if there would be a similar theme in my life this year, and if so, if I could know it. I kept getting the word "words." I've been praying over it for the past couple weeks, and I'm going to run with it. Of course, if God doesn't want me to have this as my theme word, I'll surrender it to Him, but I don't think that's the case. There's been too many confirmations.
I'm slowly working my way through a book called, "The Power of Words and the Wonder of God," and I'm trying to be more aware of the words I speak and the words I hear around me. Tonight I downloaded Evan Wickham's CD, "Above the Sky" and this one caught my attention. It highlights the power of God's words.
"Speak to Me" by Evan Wickham
You spoke the word
The universe awoke in brilliant light
And gracefully galaxies
Adorned the ancient night.
You speak your heart
Reveal your thoughts
For every fallen tear.
The power of perfect love
Has overcome all fear.
Speak to me
Father I am listening,
I'm confident your promises
Are all I need.
Speak to me
Heaven's perfect mysteries,
Oh Comforter,
Your healing word
Is all I need,
So speak to me.
You spoke the word
Your voice was heard
Beyond the holy veil.
That one would come,
Your only Son,
whose blood would never fail.
And I now I see the mystery
Your purpose I have learned.
My sacrifice is Jesus Christ
The very living word.
Speak to me...
O my God.
At your word the heavens shine
At your word the dead will rise
At your word your people cry to you
O my God.
At your word the darkness shakes
At your word the earth will quake
At your word my chains will break
Oh my God
At your word the blind will see,
the mute will speak
the lame will leap
the slave will be
forever free
and we will say
Speak to me,
Father I am listening...
Father, thank you for speaking to us through the Bible and also through the workings of the Holy Spirit. I want my words to be words that bring you Glory and season the world with truth and grace and honesty and integrity and your love, Jesus. O God, whether I am in triumphs or trials, whether joy is my companion or sorrow holds my hand, you say that the words of our tongues come from our hearts, so I ask that you would hold my heart - collectively, as your people, our hearts - in your hands and that when I - we - speak, that it would be you that is heard. I pray that my words would be backed by actions that validate and verify them. And I ask that you would help me hear your words and your will clearly now and throughout this year.
1 comment:
Dani, I've also been thinking about what my theme was last year, and what my theme may be for this upcoming year. I think last year it was, "Found in Him", and this year perhaps it's "Trust". Hmmm...maybe I'll blog about that :) Love you girl!
Post a Comment