Thursday, January 21, 2010

Faith, Hope, and Love

“Faith is not simply a patience that passively suffers until the storm is past. Rather, it is a spirit that bears things - with resignations, yes, but above all, with blazing, serene hope.” ~ Corazon Aquino


"What heights of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when strivings cease. My comforter, my all in all, here in the love of Christ I stand."

I spent some time in my favorite coffee shop today pondering love. My friend Laura and I worked our way through John last fall recording everything we found that related to the topic of love. After that study, I have come to believe that love is, fundamentally, an action or a course of actions that are most profoundly marked by the acceptance, ability, and joy in self-sacrifice. By that I mean that love is in essence not self-seeking and will, in practice, always prioritize other people over itself: an action built on the foundational perspective of a basic understanding of God's love for the individual. First I must love my God, and then I must love the people around me. Lastly is loving myself.

Lord, I want to live out love in my life - you ARE love and the source of the love that I have to give. Amply supply me with love and place people in my life to saturate in your love via me as a conduit. Reveal your depths of love and the overwhelming safety, joy, and satisfaction of allowing you to love us to me and my friends. Thank you for using me to share yourself with the world.


No comments: