Thursday, June 25, 2009

Update from a lazy girl...

It's been quite the relaxing two days this week... I didn't roll out of bed for good today until almost noon (NOON!!!). In my defense, I had woken up about nine and lazily took a long, hot shower, brushed my teeth, read my Bible and journaled all the recent happenings, but somehow or other, I found myself wrapped in my fabulously huge towel, falling asleep on my oh-so-comfy bed. I didn't fight it. I had nothing extremely pressing to accomplish today, for once, so I enjoyed the chance to drift off to sleep... again... The only problem is that my whole day gets so out of whack when I'm eating breakfast at lunch and doing things I'd planned for the morning in the afternoon. It's like the world began their day and forgot me... I'm not sure how much I like it, so tomorrow, back to setting the alarm clock.

The problem with being so lazy, though, is that it seems to be perpetuated. If I allow myself a little laziness, it turns into a lot of laziness. I'm not quite sure the best way to break this habit other than to establish some sort of deadline.

For now, the deadline is next Monday, because next Monday I start teaching at the community college. Well, actually, Monday is just an orientation/staff day, Tuesday is when I actually hit the classroom... I'm excited. I'm actually super excited! I was hired to teach three Adult Basic Education classes (two math and a reading/writing one), so I get to try my hand at the everyday teaching thing, get to lesson plan, get to develop curriculum, and get to keep busy over the summer boosting my bank account. With today's economy and the fact that I have so little experience and am just just JUST fresh out of college, I am counting this as a HUGE blessing!!!

I finished up my last paper for my last class last Thursday, turned it in, had the job interview Friday AM, and then jumped headlong into prepping for my lil' sister's grad party. I don't think I sat down all day Friday or Saturday morning - slicing fruits and veggies and cutting cheese and meats and such kept me moving. I think we had about 200 people come and go during the open house. It was fantastic fun - I love parties, especially when I'm helping throw them and I'm not the guest of honor! It means I usually know almost everyone, I feel like I belong, and I don't have to be the center of attention... Ideal!

I got to spend the rest of the weekend hanging out with some totally fun folks in Boise - I think a pair of twins and their younger brother might have stolen a bit of my heart away! I guess I've always been a sucker for people with big blue eyes and dark hair... The rest of their family is pretty great too. You know when you meet people that just seem to bend over backwards to make you feel at home and welcome, all without making you feel awkward because they seem to do it so naturally? That was my experience. Hmmm, I think I've been pretty lavished with blessings lately!

In other news, I need to find another half marathon to sign up for, since I think I've got my cousin convinced to run it with me. I also need to start putting together "big girl" outfits from the clothes in my closet to fit this "instructor" role... Although I think I'd prefer to think of it as a "profession facilitator" instead... And my summer to-do list gets longer and longer; I've got the ideas for a couple new shirts and skirts to design, I want to repaint my bedroom to bring a little change into it, I've got a couple songs I want to work on, I definitely need to tackle my yard and try to get it under control, and there is always the garden to weed. I'm also toying with a writing project idea, just to see if I can do it. Can you tell my creative outlets have felt squelched over the last 6 months with all the academic learning I've been doing? I want to drop the analytical side of my brain for awhile and just EXPRESS myself! Colors! Shapes! Textures! Emotions! Yes please!

Ahhh... How I enjoy lazy summer days... and especially so because I know they won't - nor would I really want them to - last forever...







No comments: