
I have come to realize that God's way is usually contrary to what we would think is normal... but it's a good way of doing it!
Case(s) in point: I am not a big fan of watching volleyball. It isn't my thing, I don't usually enjoy it, but my sister LOVES volleyball... And because I love her, I've decided to enjoy and appreciate it too. I don't know when exactly I decided to do this - sometime in the past 8 years - but I gotta admit, it's been worth it! I still wouldn't choose to watch volleyball in my free time, but I LOVE to watch my sister play volleyball. It's like poetry in motion!
The same thing happened just yesterday... I bought a horse about 13 years ago, and never really bonded with it. She's kind of a brat! Honestly, I haven't had much interaction with her in quite awhile, she's like a pasture ornament... But my little sis has developed a love for horses. I mean, they're, like, her life! Well, I decided if I was going to relate to my sister on her level, I needed to get over my apathetic view of horses. So I offered to go riding with her. We'd planned to go on Monday, but she was later getting home from soccer than she'd thought and it was raining, so we opted to reschedule. Yesterday was the day, so after school I found her out with the horses (we now have two) in the field. We didn't have time for a really long ride, but 45 minutes in the saddle (and several races across the field later), I realized I DO actually enjoy horses! OK, I still probably wouldn't go saddle up the horse for a ride on my own, but with Liv, it was fun! She so clearly loves riding - and flying across the field at fast speeds can't be considered anything but exhilarating - and getting to see her in her element was satisfying for me.
So here's my conclusion - love, as we all know, is NOT just a feeling. In the words of DC Talk, "Love is a verb." Sometimes, to show love, we do things we might not have a particularly enjoyable "feeling" toward... but, in my experience at least, those feelings come once I've made the commitment to showing, or enacting, love toward someone. I think that's a powerful bit of knowledge. It tells me that I do, in fact, have some control over my feelings. I have the ability to create my feelings. I like that idea, because it helps alleviate my fear that I will fail to love something, and thus, life will always be an adventure! (and yes, I do have an Indiana Jones complex...)
Do you think God designed the world, our emotions, our feelings, and our relationships to "reward" (in some sense) the act of serving and sacrificing in the name of love? I think I do...
1 comment:
When I met Jack, I really didn't care much for football. I didn't understand how it was played. Clueless, I was. The only thing I cared about was the Cougars winning the Apple Cup and making it to the Rose Bowl when I was a senior (even though we lost). Then my cousin started playing for the New York Giants and I got only a tad bit more interested.
Then I met Jack who is still crazy about football. Once we got married, I decided that I had better learn to like it because life would be hell otherwise! So. I picked my "official" team: the New York Giants. I endured more football games before "getting" it than should be legal. But now that I get the rules and know more quarterback names than I ever thought possible, I can even watch a football game by myself and find it interesting. OK. It is out. I can watch football without Jack and like it. I was rewarded with this choice, like you say... and the Giants won the Super Bowl a couple years ago. Woohoo. And it was great. All because I chose to like it because Jack liked it...well, more selfishly because I knew that if I didn't, I would be miserable. :-) Good thing too... Pop Warner. Waimea.(assistant coaching) and now FLAG FOOTBALL: go Brady! Go Brady!
Ok. Long comment. Sorry. But I understand!
Post a Comment